Tuesday, July 22, 2008

The random things you find when you're wandering the streets with an awesome friend.

I hope I have mentioned my pal Lindsy from Minnesota on here before, because she is wonderful and I am going to miss her SO SO SO much when she leaves for Sweden on Monday. Anywho, our last Swedish class was today (and I got a 1,7 which, in short, means I'm amazing.) Afterwards, Lindsy and I had dinner at a delicious (and cheap! hooray!) restaurant. Then we decided to wander around Freiburg for a few minutes. Our first randomly awesome discovery was a free art exhibit with toooons of amazing stuff - it's hard to explain it here, but it was really, really cool. Kind of abstract but the figures were recognizable. We got into a discussion about how perspective matters SO much in interpreting anything creative - this discussion kicked off because my favorite picture at the exhibit was an image of two people kissing with some kind of headphones over their ears. I had interpreted it as a guy and girl listening to music, but maybe not the same song, and yet they were still sharing a "moment" that was different for each because of their different music but connected all of the same, since they were kissing. I told this to Lindsy, and she jokingly said, "How do you know those are headphones and not ear-muffs?" I realized that, had that really been her first interpretation, it would totally make sense, as she is from Minnesota, whereas nobody in Texas needs ear-muffs. Plus my obsession with music obviously led me to associate the earphones with those attached to some kind of CD-player. Anyway, very interesting stuff! Then we wandered around a bit more, and finally we came upon the STRANGEST thing I have ever seen. There was music playing, so we started walking down the street towards it, and there were ALL kinds of people, so it looked like a festival. Lindsy said she believed the building they were standing outside of was some kind of art school for teenaged kids, because she would sometimes see/hear orchestras practicing. The band that was playing was probably faculty or just some hired group, 'cause the guys were all old. They were just playing this endless 90's-esque loop, and as we walked on, we discovered the strange part: there were kids, in weird costumes (we believe it was a Greek mythology theme, because there was Hermes and Medusa. . .I think those are the Greek ones anyway haha) standing around, and ALSO jumping out of a window, hooked up to one of those climbing cables, that connected to a tree and they floated down over their classmates towards the tree. What. In. God's. Name. Lindsy and I, still, have NO idea what was happening. We conjecture it was either the aftermath of a school play, or else graduation and these were the seniors being celebrated by. . .jumping out of a 3rd or 4th story window to float down over their classmates. It was the strangest thing ever. Neither Lindsy nor I had a camera, so all we have is this very odd memory of kids jumping out of windows, with a little fog machine running, and just kind of hanging like sad sacks until they got down haha. There were 2 girls who actually tried to look like they were flying down, but the rest really just hung there. Ridiculous. Then, after all the kids had jumped out of the window, the band started playing American Motown. AMAZING. They did "Hit The Road Jack" and "Mustang Sally," and then Lindsy and I had to go. Since I turned in my first Hausarbeit (major research paper worth my entire grade, basically) today, I have now been relaxing and playing guitar. Tomorrow I'm doing a bike ride, and then starting Hausarbeit number 2. I am hoping to finish that by Saturday, and then I'll just have 2 more assignments to finish up (but they aren't too bad.) Then it's relax until I head back home! It's insane how fast this has all gone. I really am going to miss my friends so much who are leaving next week. . .I wish people were hanging around! But it will give me more time to write poetry and guitar and whatnot. OK, bed time!!

No comments: