Monday, August 18, 2008

Europe - A Retrospective

Being back in the states is a very strange experience, and not altogether pleasing. I am happy to see people I have been missing, but the place itself doesn't feel good to me anymore. The shops and the cars and the miles of roads and the lack of bicycles and the different air and the change in scenery - it is familiar, but it makes me restless. Playing guitar feels different, and not in the best of ways (although I am hoping with more and more practice, that will rectify itself.) I'm going to try not to be all gloomy-doomy about being back. I have an adorable apartment to decorate, and tons of people I have not yet been able to catch up with. I think those things will help propel me along to get through the year. Also, I want to explore cities here with the same vivacity and excited energy with which I explored cities in Europe. I also want to eat healthier, since I am a little "richer" (harhar) here than I was in Germany. I am excited about the future, but I am also kind of ready to get to a new place - as much as I've loved Austin, I'm ready to get out of Texas. There was a kind of magic in all of my adventures abroad, and (just like I said I would - remember??) of course I am now rose-color-glasses-ing everything. I know there were incredibly difficult times, but right now they seem to be so worth the rest of it all. I just feel very strange. A stranger in my own country. Anyway, I will try to update again once I've been here a while, to see what changes and what stays the same. For now, I just feel restless and a little tired and a little sad.

No comments: