Wednesday, June 4, 2008

Let's face the facts, dear: it's you who's got it all.

I went on a brief run this morning, despite a light misty rain and perhaps slightly-too-cold temperature. I want to describe the path I take to do my walk/runs, because it's truly out of a movie. First, I run down my 2 flights of stairs from my apartment to the front door of the complex. I turn left, and head past the other buildings, past a sandbox with a lifesize ship and sails (how cool is that for the kids who get to play on it?!) and out through a side entrance to the whole neighborhood. I turn right. I walk briskly on the cobblestone sidewalk past enormous grandfather trees, blooming rose bushes which, today, were heavily sinking under the weight of the rain, past moms and dads pushing babies in strollers and people biking to wherever they need to go. I turn left when I come to the end of the sidewalk, and cross a street. I then cross the tram tracks. I turn right again. I walk past quaint shops, nurseries and daycares, playgrounds, until I come to the playground with the climbing rock and big, grassy expanses. I turn left into the path, and walk past everything just described, as well as a little rabbit cage. It's always a good day when the rabbit is there - he is a fuzzy, round ball of white and caramel fluff, with a kind of "dooooh" look about him. Adorable. Today, because of the rain, I didn't notice whether he was out or not. Then I take the (muddy) path past the playground, between trees that reach out in an attempt to give me a hug. Not today, trees. I bent down to dodge them. Then. . .it's Lord of the Rings central. Big, curving beings of bark reach out over the top of me, protecting me from the rain. I turn left, usually, to begin my circle around the stream. The stream is beautiful and peaceful - if I didn't have my headphones on while I ran, I would hear it's soft rush past the rocks thankful for their endless bath. I would also hear the chorus of tiny birds that hang out in the upper echelons (spelling, egads.) Today, there was a bit of Poe in the woods - crows creaked out warnings of the rain. Thanks, crows, I think my soaked-through tee gave that one away. Anyway, I walk past these trees, under a branch that will probably soon be seperated from it's mother tree, because it is bending so heavily. I think if the rain continues, it will fall within the week. I go up to the bridge that is to the right of a big cage filled with rocks (don't ask me, I still haven't figured out what that is.) I turn right and cross the bridge, wondering if there are any goblins to devour Billy-Goat Gruff. After crossing, today I went left in perperation for my run. But I will continue to describe the ring around the stream, because it is more interesting. So, when I turn right, I pass tall trees and green grass for quite some time, and even another bridge (to my right). I pass a petting zoo, with goats and ponies. The goats usually eyeball me, as if to say, "The goblin didn't devour you today." Eventually I come to a child's playground/school of some kind. It is AWESOME. There are swings and things to climb, a teepee and God knows what else. Continuing on, I pass the horse stables. There are 3 or 4 beautiful, beautiful horses housed there. Sometimes they will look at me, and sometimes just continue their chomping on hay. Every now and again, I get to watch a brunette-haired girl ride in quick circles on a black beauty. I always wish to myself that the horse could jump the fence and just make a run for it. I'm sure he'd be happy to stretch his legs in a different pattern. Then again, I run in circles as well. . .nevertheless, I continue on past a third bridge, this one (unlike the other two wood bridges) made of concrete. I continue on, under a bridge for automobiles, up a small hill and finally come to the final bridge in my circle. Usually I will then take the bridge across and go back on the dirt road, but the rain has caused it to be too muddy, so I turn back around and follow the crushed-rock path I took out. About three or four days ago, I saw a tree fall on my run. It was epic and magical and tragic all at once. Through my headphones I heard this desperate, warning crack, looked forward and to my left about 20 feet, and watched as one of the wise wizards of the forests take its final bow, breaking a fence as it collapsed under the weight of its years. I feel like this is a rare thing to see; not that it doesn't happen often, but to time it out where you actually get to see it. I felt priviledged to be the single human attendant at the funeral. Today, when I ran back over my final bridge (the one near the unexplainable rock-cage) and took the path past the playground in that area, I saw a couple walking towards me, walking what I assumed would be dogs. To my extreme pleasure, almost glee - they were walking their ferrets. Two dogs with another man walked by, totally confused by these skinny, fuzzy beasts. The biggest smile in the world crept across my face at this ridiculous image. I loved it. Now, I have showered, my laundry is almost done, and I've been quite productive today. I am going to try to write every single day in some form or fashion (not necessarily in this journal, but in one of my many journals) in order to practice my writing skillz. Jason Mraz and his ingenious weaving of words has inspired me to do this. For now, it's time to get my laundry, go on a small shopping trip for some necessary groceries, have lunch, do some homework, mail off scholarship stuff to dad, more homework. . .more homework. SO worth it for a weekend of wandering through the forests, writing, singing and playing guitar, and guiltlessly indulging in life, the way I choose to. Peace out, lovers.

No comments: